Tuesday, September 19, 2017

There's Something About Your First Bite...

It brings me great pleasure to be able to announce (finally!) the project I've been working on since November of last year....

...THE V-CARD! Written and funded by my mysterious benefactor, Dallas Casavant, with letters by Sean Rinehart! I've been describing it as "American Pie with vampires" and as you can see from the cover, we are leaning into that idea pretty damn hard.

THE CAPTIVE AUDIENCE: Dear God, Nick! Won't you stop your incessant yammering and tell us WHERE we can buy the damn book!?!

NICK: Ha! Ha! Ha! Why certainly!

Issues 1 and 2 will be available in print this very weekend at the EDMONTON EXPO! Dallas will have copies at his table (TABLE 820/920), where I will be signing, sketching, and selling original art, throughout the weekend. Also, I will once again be hanging out in Artist Alley (TABLE H09) with my pal Sho Uehara, hawking copies of WISHLESS: A GRAPHIC ANTHOLOGY and LEIGHTON RELIQUARY!

Below is some preview art to get your eyeballs salivating!

And here's a sneak peek at the cover of Issue 2, which shows off Dallas' love for the one and only PRINCE, with an homage to the Purple Rain album cover art.

As I mentioned, BOTH issues will be available at the Edmonton Expo this very week.

Also, Dallas has started up a Kickstarter page to help fund the completion of Issues 3 and 4 (which I have already begun to draw) and it would be so awesome of you to take a peek at the site and, heck, make a pledge if you are so inclined. There are some really fun rewards! And there's a sneak peek at the MOTION COMIC of V-Card that is currently in production. Very cool to see my art in motion. Maybe I should get into animation... I'm sure I could take that on and still live a balanced life....

(NOTE: Nick Johnson was never seen again.)

See you in Edmonton this weekend!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017


This past Spring, I had the pleasure of working with my previous collaborator Pete Balkwill to create a supplementary comic story for an amazing artistic endeavour. Working with the assistance of the Leighton Art Centre, and other talented artists in Calgary, we created LEIGHTON RELIQUARY, an art show on display at the Centre from March to April. Now that the show is officially finished, I present the entire comic in all its Canadian history glory!

This was easily one of the most fun and rewarding comic experiences I've had thus far, the perfect outlet to explore my fascinations with Canadian history, the creative process, heck, even haunted houses! The book is still available at the Leighton Art Centre gift shop and I will have copies at future comic shows to be announced!

I'm actually working full-time as a freelance comicker and illustrator at the moment (WHAT?!? DREAM COME TRUE? HELL YEAH!) and these kinds of gigs really keep the creative spirit thriving. Cuz hey, let's get real, some days even working on comics can feel like a regular day job!

I've been working on a huge comic project since late 2016 that hasn't been officially announced yet, but I'm half way through the second of four issues so I'm hoping I'll have a chance to talk about it soon. You can get a few sneak peeks at my Instagram account!

I'll post a few more updates very soon, including snippets from comic classes I've been teaching and further design work on my comic REACTIONARY.

Thanks so much for reading! Talk soon!

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

DON'T LOOK UP: A Pinocchio Story

I hope you enjoyed this little Lynchian tale in the life of an immortal wooden boy. This is one of the many stories now available in WISHLESS: A Graphic Anthology. My buddy Sho and I will have physical copies of this book at the Calgary Expo Holiday Market this weekend.

But for those of you who can't make it down, I'm pleased to say the book is available digitally, right this very moment, on Comixology. Click here to grab your copy!

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

"I Was Born in a Box..."

Anyone whose been reading the blog for a while is well aware of my personal project Reactionary, (or "the one with the bird people in it") a story I've been chipping away at for many years. Well, I'm excited to say that the second draft of the script (a whopping 115 pages, yikes!) has been finished and I've made the book a priority.

What follows are the character designs for one half of our main cast: the outcasts, the misfits, the Reaction!


My current plan is to release the book online in chapters, then probably start pitching it to prospective publishers. But whether or not it finds a home soon, my number one priority is to finish it. Too many half completed stories out there in the world. More updates soon!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Kids Are Alright (II)

I've been putting serious effort into enjoying summer this year (they tend to be brief here in Calgary) and it's been rather nice thus far – biking and weddings and patio beers abound! One main reason for my determination to relax is that I spent most of last summer indoors chipping away at a huge illustration project. But if you have to watch the summer fly by from inside, there is no better way to do it than on a very special project that means so much.

Transphobia: Deal With It and Be a Gender Transcender, is the second book I've done for Lorimer Publishing (HERE is a link to the first one) and once again, it feels great to be a part of such a positive endeavour. The idea that these issues are being discussed with teens is very encouraging and I'm proud to be using my powers of illustration for the forces of good.

The book is now available online and I'm pleased to finally present all of the illos I did here, featuring spot illustrations, full and double page spreads and even comic strips!

Enjoy! Then get outside and soak up some Vitamin D!